Monday, August 12, 2013

Playing Around with English



 English is one of my favourite subjects to teach Lulu - there are so many options.  Spending time on grammar, parts of speech and the like is essential but thankfully so many other activities can keep it fresh and current; actually this can be said of all subjects if you take the time to brainstorm new ideas.


Some of the things we like to do include:


  • writing blog posts
  • book reviews 
  • word searches
  • writing letters
  • summarising articles of interest 
  • writing stories
  • crossword puzzles
  • reading a variety of books
  • listening to stories or documentaries
  • narration
  • comprehension
  • discussion


Comprehension exercise
I get such a kick out of some of her writing. This book review made me chuckle - see her response to  "What do you like least about the book?"  (I can see I was rather ambitious giving my poor kid unlined paper to write her answers!)



Every day continues to be an adventure - today she only did rote math, piano and art - the rest takes a backseat as she prepares mentally for her first tap Eisteddford this evening. The nerves are frayed and emotions sitting close to the surface.

1 comment:

  1. Your daughter have a very neat hand writing, as well as her teacher :)
    The way you feel regarding English, is how I feel with regards to Afrikaans :) So many things I can do with my kids in Afrikaans.
    Word searches are the best.
    Good luck with the emotions and nerves with regards to the Eisteddford tonight.

    ReplyDelete