Sunday, June 9, 2013

Schoolroom Mini-Makeover

I am in the process of re-working some small parts of our schoolroom. As a newbie homeschooler I am still figuring out what works for us and what doesnt.

In its former life it was my studio - a place where I used to paint, art-journal, create and generally get messy and try new things.

I am fortunate enough to still have a space like that (just not an entire room!)  it is now in a corner in our family/play room. We built this house 7 years ago and it has served our changing needs exceptionally well and now is no exception.

The first thing I did was take ownership of a carpet that a friend of mine was throwing out - I had it re-edged and it fits perfectly into the space. While I am not a fan of carpets (my entire house is wooden flooring) I can see and feel how much warmer the space has become as winter creeps in on us.

Of course, my THREE dogs love the new carpeted space and we have them for company most mornings.

2 out of 3 getting frisky!
I also spotted a real find at my local haberdashery store today - this material is just beautiful. The colours restful and the pattern engaging but not overbearing. It is a thick, heavy calico type fabric.






I will be enlisting the help of a very "Martha Stewart friend" who will be making two large roman blinds for the room. Will post a full look-see when all is done!


Do you have a special room where you school your kids?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just found your link on a FB group for Western Cape HSers. I heart heart heart that fabric - please let me know where you got it from. Have a map fixation and would love some too.
    Thanks,
    Atiyya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I got the fabric at Global Textiles on Fish Hoek main road - its 150 wide and costs R120pm. ;-)

    ReplyDelete