Friday, May 10, 2013

EPIC 2020


To some of you this has seemed like a huge surprise - the fact that I have decided to attempt informal education.

The truth of the matter is that for many months, probably close to a year I have been watching and following many educational blogs, TED TV and other highly controversial education gurus.

Some of it was crazy. Some of it was scary. Some of it was downright stupid but on the whole, most of it was jaw-dropping stuff. In a good way.  

From time to time I will share some of the videos that have helped shape my thinking and led me to believe that I can take a risk; that stepping out of the norm is NOT unwise but possibly the path on which a new norm will follow.

This particular video references Kahn Academy - which we will be using. 

I share these, not to critise current systems of education but to awaken new ideas and possibilities as our kids face a future far different from the one we currently embrace.

I have to tell you that watching this video left me feeling pretty unsettled but as

Martin Van Der Werf, The College of Education Blog says: 

Will higher education collapse in this manner? No, this is far too simplistic. But are there grains of truth and seeds of nightmares in this? I would argue Yes. This video should inspire a mixture of guffaws, inspiration, and feelings of dread in just about anyone who watches it. So, if nothing else, Sams has succeeded in starting a dialogue that any college thinking seriously about its future needs to have.”

Go on, make yourself cofffee and take 10minutes to watch and leave your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment